Thursday, January 25, 2007

PhD supervision

I am quite happy that finally the institute where I study does something regarding student supervision. I did not really care about supervision actually, from the very beginning of my Ph.D candidature. My principal supervisor resigned before I did my confirmation examination. I was like in the middle of nowhere. It was terrible situation because I came to this institute to learn from this person expertise. I could not blame the resigned supervisor. If I were in his position I might do the same as he did. What made me skeptical about supervision was that the institute was powerless and could not help me to continue supervision with the resigned supervisor. Other students and I were encouraged to choose someone from the institute as our formal supervisors; where actually has very limited resources.

After three years of my study, it seems that these formal supervisors were too kind to me; they never want to disturb my enjoyable study. I did two fieldworks in Indonesia and an archive research in the Netherlands, and went from a conference to a conference (from East to West, North to South). Last year I wrote only one very rough chapter that I was not satisfied at all. However, my supervisors neither gave complaints nor comments on what I wrote and I did. I think my supervisors are too kind and see me with too high standard so I did not really need ‘help.’ Or they just want to let me being supervised informally with my resigned supervisor, who is my shadow supervisor. This shadow supervisor is very helpful: reading my chapters, reports and essays; giving comments, references, and suggestion too. The only problem is he is too far away. I always break my promise to send him a revised chapter or even a progress email every month.

I know this is certainly unusual and bad direction. But I did not want to make a pressure on my recent supervisors too. I am doing my own project research, not them. So, I feel I get a freedom to do what I want to do. What a positive thinking! After three years I would say that I enjoyed of having not enough supervision.

Now, the institute wanted to encourage these supervisors to be more helpful. I welcome. Its good deed, why not supporting it? In fact, I do need help that urge me to write my thesis chapters. I am looking forward to have a different way to enjoying my phd.

By this curhat I just one to give advice. For those of you want to take PhD studies, please choose the right supervisor. If you get the wrong one, keep cool and enjoy it! :)

No comments: