Friday, April 11, 2008

Indonesian Choir at Moreland Primary School

Elkana and Farhan are exited that we will start an Indonesian Choir at Moreland Primary School next week. I will volunteer to teach Indonesian song and culture to a group of students.

Teaching a choir every week?! Well, I did not expect to have this chance. It is totally different from my PhD research. Last year I taught Elkana, Farhan and their close friends to perform at their school at the farewell program of Sue. She is one of my favourite teacher at Moreland Primary School. After performance, we received excellent response and comments from students and teachers. So they asked me to do that at school this year.

Well, I know I only have four months before submitting my thesis. I am in a tense writing situation right now. I could easily say no and sorry to the school principal. But, I don't want to see Elkana's and Farhan's sad faces. The most important inspiration behind my yes decision is Amir. Without his never-ending support I could not manage my time to do this activity.

Who knows this activity will give me a good Thursday. This is the art of volunteering. In fact, I will teach my own kids and Australian students about Indonesia, which is culturally marginal here.

This is exiting!

No comments: